Monday, April 14, 2008

Things I have learned about autism

Autistic kids can not be deceptive. Everything is black and white with Ian. This can be rather embarrasing when he receives a gift he doesn't care for. Thankfully my family is very understanding. At Christmas he was rather disgusted at the gift cards he rec'd.

Autistic kids are ALL DIFFERENT! My Ian loves affection and talks a lot! More severely autistic kids may not like to be touched and many never say a word. I am so thankful that I can hear my son say "I love you, Mom." and that he likes to be hugged and kissed.

Autistic kids often have very limited interests. Ian's is computers. Move over, Bill Gates! Bill Gates, by the way is also on the autism spectrum!
It is very hard to buy presents for Ian because he doesn't go for any certain characters, brands, etc. He mainly likes computers. Just this past year he has shown an interest in guitars!
He also plays with hot wheels cars.

Autism Awareness Month is almost 1/2 over. Have you told anyone about autism yet?

1 comment:

Mellyanne said...

Thanks for sharing. I didn't know much about his autism. Praise the Lord he is mild and still shows his mommy lovin' and hugs!