Autism spectrum disorders can usually be reliably diagnosed by age 3, although new research is pushing back the age of diagnosis to as early as 6 months. Parents are usually the first to notice unusual behaviors in their child or their child's failure to reach appropriate developmental milestones. Some parents describe a child that seemed different from birth, while others describe a child who was developing normally and then lost skills. Pediatricians may initially dismiss signs of autism, thinking a child will “catch up,” and may advise parents to “wait and see.” New research shows that when parents suspect something is wrong with their child, they are usually correct. If you have concerns about your child's development, don't wait: speak to your pediatrician about getting your child screened for autism.
***************************************************************************************
Have you ever been in the grocery store and watched a mother try to handle a child while they throw a tantrum on the floor of the store?? What were your thoughts? Mine used to be "That kid needs a good spanking. She is totally ineffective as a parent." "She just stands there, why doesn't she do something?" and other things along that line. Having had a angelic child like Jacob, I must be a great parent and disciplinarian, right? He never misbehaved in public, ever.
Now when I see that same thing going on, I think, "I wonder what is wrong? I see that she is calm and maybe waiting it out. I wonder if her child might be autistic. I wonder if I should offer some encouragement, at least a smile if our eyes meet instead of a stare that speaks volumes on what I think of her child's behavior. " Often, I say a quick prayer for that mother (or father) and child. One thing I can never do now is judge or think I know what I would do with that child if he were mine.
The next time you see this kind of scenario playing out in the grocery store or restaurant, you might think twice about what you think you see and how you react to the parent and child.
No comments:
Post a Comment